MSO7155 - St Peter's Church, Exton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
[SS 92583370] St Peter's Church (NR)  St Peter, Exton, Herringbone masonry in nave indicates a Norman date. West tower may be 13th century. Chancel 1878.  In normal use.  Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  17/3 Church of St. Peter. Listed Grade B. Small very plain C.14/C.15. building, some restoration. Nave, N.aisle, chancel, plain embattled W. tower, diagonal buttresses to base, later wooden bell-chamber windows. Square-head windows to nave and aisle, pointed arch to chancel. Interior has unceiled wagon roofs, ribs, restored bosses. Octagonal font.  SS93SW EXTON CP EXTON VILLAGE 19/23 Church of St Peter 6.4.59 GV II* Parish church. Some Norman work in nave, C13 tower, C15 aisle, refenestrated early C16, church restored and chancel rebuilt 1876, tower restoratiom dated 1928. Random rubble local slate, tower and west end of aisle pebbledash, slate and asbestos slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave and north aisle, south porch chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, north-west buttress with date 1928, lancet bell opening, wooden louvred opening south face with lancet below, no west door; 3-light cinquefoil-headed mullioned windows, except in chancel, one on either side of single storey, gabled porch, unbuttressed, moulded arch openings, C19 door, flat bedded chequer board pattern slate floor, trefoil-headed statue niche above door, slate tablet inscribed to Ann Norris, died 1717 opposite; chancel, chamfered pointed arch priest's door, 2-light window right, 3-light east window, north aisle lit east end and 3 windows on north front, blocked central opening between large slatetopped buttresses. Interior: rendered, quoins to window openings and tower arch exposed, standard Perpendicular 3-bay arcade, unmoulded chancel arch with chamfered jambs, pointed tower arch. C19 collar beam roof with struts in chancel, nave and aisle remains of earlier ceiled wagon roof, now open, new bosses in nave. Hagioscope in north aisle wall. Reredos of glass mosaic c 1890. Medieval tiles set along altar step. Pulpit of C18-19 panelling reset. Perpendicular font. Stained glass: east window by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake dated 1886, south chancel window with portraits of the doners, one died 1867. Fine painted and gilded wooden panel to Rose Pearse, died 1712 and her husband Robert, died 1732, with painted cherubs, skulls and flowers; black and white wall tablet to Martha Williams died 1826, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol.  A marble tablet commemorates Richard Warren who died in 1939 in World War Two. The tablet has the badge of the 1/5 Punjabs on it. A white marble tablet commemorates Charles Thomas who was killed in 1944. The badge of the Somerset Light Infantry is depicted above the inscription. A simple stone tablet commemorates two of the parish who died in World War Two. A plaque commmeorates two brothers, John and Christopher Everard, who were both killed in World War One. The badge of the Highland Light Infantry is featured above the text. A plaque commemorates Charles Thomas who was killed in 1914 in World War One. The badge of the South Staffordshire Regiment is above the text. A large white marble tablet commemorates 8 members of the church who died in World War One and 36 who served. The tablet is supported by corbels and flanked by flat pillars at each side supporting a cornice and open pediment.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. p169.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1. Pitcher, G.H. 11/08/1965.
- <4> SSO749 Unassigned: Aston, M. 01.12.76. Somerset County Council.
- <5> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Dulverton RD Somer Sept 1955 17-18.
- <6> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE(HHR) West Somer Dist(Exford et al) Somer 2.1.86 13.
- <7> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. p56-7.
- <8> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. Ref's: 24572 (WW1) 24573 (Everard) 24574 (CH Thomas) 24575 (CR Thomas) 24576 (WW2) 24577 (Warren).
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9258 3371 (52m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36705 (Pastscape entry: 36705)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=547 (CHER ID: 547)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/19/23
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601466
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10656
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11296
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36705
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33638
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31145
Record last edited
Jan 30 2017 12:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.