MSO7121 - Bronze Age burial cairn above Long Chains Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
'U' Mound. A layer of turf and stones stripped from a small patch of ground and piled to one side. Probably recent as little vegetation has grown back over bare patch. Purpose unknown.  SS 7493 4218. A rectangular stony mound, 5.5 metres northwest to southeast by 5 metres and 0.5 metres maximum height. The material in the mound probably came from the immediate northwest where an irregular area, about 5 metres northwest to southeast by 4 metres, appears to have been excavated to a depth of about 0.2 metres.The purpose of the mound or excavation is unclear. Its shape and definition exclude it from being prehistoric, ie a cairn, and, as suggested by Preece , it is almost certainly modern. Fixed by GPS. For record only not for publication.  As described by Authority , except that the excavated area is not the source of the material in the mound and is apparently recent. The mound is circular in shape and comprises weathered stones 0.1 to 0.3 metres, and is clearly a burial cairn of Bronze Age date. Its siting allows dramatic views westwards up Long Chains Combe.  This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6981 Report: Preece, A.. 1992. Archaeological Survey of the Upper Hoaroak Valley/ The Chains Valley Area, Exmoor Forest. 6 No:5 (Sketch Map).
- <2>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. 1996. [Mapped feature: #46720 ]
- <3> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. R Wilson-North, 9 May 2013.
- <4> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 30.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1044014, Extant 17 January 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 7493 4218 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044014 (Original Monarch entry: 1044014)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12379
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW117
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1044014
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35574
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 10:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.