MSO7121 - Bronze Age burial cairn above Long Chains Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
'U' Mound. A layer of turf and stones stripped from a small patch of ground and piled to one side. Probably recent as little vegetation has grown back over bare patch. Purpose unknown.  SS 7493 4218. A rectangular stony mound, 5.5 metres northwest to southeast by 5 metres and 0.5 metres maximum height. The material in the mound probably came from the immediate northwest where an irregular area, about 5 metres northwest to southeast by 4 metres, appears to have been excavated to a depth of about 0.2 metres.The purpose of the mound or excavation is unclear. Its shape and definition exclude it from being prehistoric, ie a cairn, and, as suggested by Preece , it is almost certainly modern. Fixed by GPS. For record only not for publication.  As described by Authority , except that the excavated area is not the source of the material in the mound and is apparently recent. The mound is circular in shape and comprises weathered stones 0.1 - 0.3m, and is clearly a burial cairn of Bronze Age date. Its siting allows dramatic views westwards up Long Chains Combe.  This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme. 
- <1> SEM6981 Report: Preece, A.. 1992. Archaeological Survey of the Upper Hoaroak Valley/ The Chains Valley Area, Exmoor Forest. 6 No:5 (Sketch Map).
- <2>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. 1996. [Mapped feature: #46720 ]
- <3> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. R Wilson-North, 9 May 2013.
- <4> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 30.
|Grid reference||SS 7493 4218 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044014 (Original Monarch entry: 1044014)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12379
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW117
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044014
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35574
Record last edited
Mar 16 2021 3:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.