MSO7107 - Bronze Age burial cairn north of Lanacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A cairn, found and identified as a ring cairn by McDonnell in 1993/4.  At SS 7827 4316, on the crest of steep natural slopes forming the north side of Lanacombe, are the very disturbed and gutted remains of a cairn. It comprises an irregular spread of surface stone 7.5 metres in diameter. On the west and south an irregular ?robbing trench defines its extent, whilst on the north and east the spread of stones fades away into the surrounding moorland vegetation. A compact mound of stony material survives in the centre. The crest position of this feature and its overall form are indicative of a prehistoric cairn. It has clearly been subsequently robbed, presumably during the construction of the Forest boundary wall in the 19th Century (see MEM22088). Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The National Grid Reference is close to two other cairns (MSO12260 and MSO12302). They may all be the same.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE79935 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1993/4. Archaeological Survey of Exe Plain/Lanacombe. Field record number 95.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 June 1996. [Mapped feature: #46483 ]
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Sites and Monuments Record Officer, January 1998.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1041453, Extant 26 May 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7827 4316 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1041453 (Pastscape entry: 1041453)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12415
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE130
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1041453
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35611
Record last edited
Jun 1 2021 4:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.