MSO7091 - Prehistoric cairn and bank associated with Lanacombe II Stone Setting (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A cairn and stony bank are centred at SS 7841 4284 on the south facing slopes of Lanacombe. The cairn consists of a stony mound, 3.2 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. It has been clipped by a track on its southern side. Some 17 metres west of the cairn is a 17.2 metre lengh of rubble bank running up and down the natural slope; it is 2.3 metres wide and 0.3 metres high. It is clearly exposed where it has been crossed by a modern track. Both features appear to be prehistoric, and presumably represent cultivation. The proximity of these features to the stone settings on Lanacombe (MSO6948 and MSO6947) is of significance. The association of stone settings and cairns has been noted elsewhere (MSO6948, MSO6968 and MSO6969). However, the association of stone settings and field banks poses major questions of chronology and land use. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7284 Survey: McDonnell, R.. 1992-1994. Exmoor Forest Estate (North) Field Record Cards. Field Record Number 62.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 June 1994. [Mapped feature: #37902 ]
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: RCHME Exeter. 1993-1999. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1035948, Extant 21 May 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7841 4284 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1035948 (Pastscape entry: 1035948)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12404
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE105
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1035948
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35600
Record last edited
May 26 2021 11:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.