MSO7086 - Post-medieval mound on Long Holcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A prehistoric cairn was reported by Richard McDonnell, located at SS 7698 3541.  At SS 7696 3543 is a largely turf covered, rectangular spread of loose stones, aligned west-east. The feature measures 4 metres by 2.6 metres and is 0.3 metres high. It is very similar to MSO7085. The date of the feature is unclear. Its shape and form argue against it being a prehistoric cairn, as does its proximity and similarity to MSO7085. It also lies in an area of surface drainage and other slight surface scoops. It may be a spoil dump associated with these features. However, its proximity to the prehistoric standing stone (MSO6890) argues for it being a prehistoric cairn. The association of stones and cairns has been noted elsewhere on Exmoor. On balance, the shape and loose composition of the feature suggest that it is of post-medieval or modern date, and is most likely to be associated with the improvement of Long Holcombe. Surveyed at 1:100 scale, December 1994. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1370 Survey: McDonnell, R. Arch Survey of Long Holcombe for ENP 1993-4. Field record 9.
- <2> SMO5670 Technical drawing: Chapman, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1994. Long Holcombe, SS 73 NE 37, 75-76/ink survey . 1:100. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 December 1994.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1029890, Extant 18 November 2021.
- <4> SEM8492 Report: Riley, H.. 2017. Archaeological Walkover Survey: Long Holcombe, Exmoor, Exmoor Mires Partnership ELH17, Project Report.
|Grid reference||SS 7696 3543 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029890 (Original Monarch entry: 1029890)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12519
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE76
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1029890
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35721
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 10:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.