MSO7085 - Post-medieval spoil heap on Long Holcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A prehistoric cairn is recorded at SS 7696 3544.  At SS 7695 3544 is a rectangular stony spread, aligned east-west, and measuring 4.5 metres by 2.3 metres and 0.3 metres high. It is now marked by an area of tussocks and loose surface stone. A slight hollow has disturbed the western end, and on the north side is an amorphous scatter of stone. The feature is very similar to a nearby mound on Long Holcombe (MSO7086). The form and shape of this feature argue against it being a prehistoric cairn. It is quite clearly elongated and the composition of the mound is loose stone, which suggest that it might be of post-medieval or more recent date. Nearby drainage indicates post-medieval activity in the area. It may be a spoil dump from these operations. However, the proximity of a prehistoric standing stone (MSO6890) argues for an earlier date, and the association of stones and cairns has been noted elsewhere on Exmoor. On balance, the feature is more likely to be of post-medieval or modern date associated with improvements to Long Holcombe. [2-4]
- --- SEM8492 Report: Riley, H.. 2017. Archaeological Walkover Survey: Long Holcombe, Exmoor, Exmoor Mires Partnership ELH17, Project Report.
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. 35720.
- <2> SSO1370 Survey: McDonnell, R. Arch Survey of Long Holcombe for ENP 1993-4. Field record 8.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 December 1994.
- <4> SMO5670 Survey: Long Holcombe, SS 73 NE 37, 75-76/ink survey . 1:100. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
|Grid reference||SS 7694 3543 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029886 (Original Monument entry: 1029886)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12518
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE75
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029886
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35720
Record last edited
May 17 2017 11:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.