MSO7084 - Long Holcombe Standing Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A standing stone was recorded by Richard McDonnell at SS 7745 3595.  At SS 77385 35935 on the crest of the southeast facing slopes of Long Holcombe is a standing stone. It lies within a patch of rushes at 430 metres above Ordnance Datum; and is 106 metres southeast of a cairn (MSO6801). It is an upright, lichen-covered slab leaning slightly northwards and it is 0.65 metres high, 0.6 metres long and 0.18 metres thick within an erosion hollow 3.5 metres in diameter. The stone is probably that recorded as MSO6957. Despite being some 350 metres from the national grid reference cited for MSO6957, the dimesions are proportionally similar (1.4 metres high, 1.4 metres wide and 0.15 metres thick). Surveyed at 1:2500 scale, December 1994. [1,2] During field survey in 2002 the erosion hollow was identified as being active.  A rectangular slab of sandstone standing upright leaning slightly north, measuring 0.7 by 0.6 by 0.16 metres. It is located on the crest of the southeast facing slopes of Long Holcombe, immersed in thick rushes. The stone has only a slight northwards lean. This is likely caused by rubbing, as suggested by the erosion hollow which was waterlogged at the time of recording. However, the stone is very stable within its socket.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- --- SEM8492 Report: Riley, H.. 2017. Archaeological Walkover Survey: Long Holcombe, Exmoor, Exmoor Mires Partnership ELH17, Project Report.
- <1> SEM7030 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1994. Long Holcombe: An Archaeological Assessment for Management Purposes. Field record 4.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 December 1994.
- <3> SEM3 Report: Blackmore, O.. 2002. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Exmoor National Park Authority Owned Land.
- <4> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO7084.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1029877, Extant 18 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7738 3593 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029877 (Original Monarch entry: 1029877)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12499
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE74
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1029877
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35701
Record last edited
Nov 18 2021 11:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.