MSO6957 - Possible prehistoric standing stone at Long Holcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 775 356 A squat slab was recorded, being 1.4 metres high, 1.4 metres wide and 0.15 metres thick. This is aligned roughly east to west.  Standing stone. No trace of the stone was found within a 400 metre radius of the provided national grid reference above. The area is covered by coarse grass and rushes. Somerset Historic Environment Record was unable to supply any further information about this site or to confirm (or otherwise) the national grid reference given. [2,3] Field reconnaissance in the vicinity of SS 775 356 confirms that there is no standing stone in this area. However, some 350 metres north of the national grid reference, at SS 7738 3593, is MSO7084: an upright slab. Despite the distance from the national grid reference sited for this record, this stone may well be the feature referred to by Eardley-Wilmot, who gives its dimensions as "1.4 metres high, 1.4 metres wide and 0.15 metres thick", those of MSO7084 are 0.65 metres high, 0.6 metres long and 0.18 metres thick.  No clear standing stones were witnessed in the area during the survey, possibly a mis-recorded number.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1072 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H. 15.09.80. Eardley-Wilmot, H to Somerset County Council.
- <2> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 December 1989.
- <3> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. 50, SS 73 NE 18.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 December 1994.
- <5> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 870260, Extant 17 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 775 356 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=870260 (Original Monarch entry: 870260)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10989
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE18
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 870260
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33128
Record last edited
Nov 17 2021 1:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.