MSO7080 - Possible Bronze Age burial cairn on Deer Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At SS 7641 3836 is a slight circular earthen bank, 0.3 metres high, and 6.2 metres in diameter. The interior is 0.2 metres below the surrounding ground surface and is occupied by several stones, one of which is upright. It is 0.3 metres high, 0.35 metres long and 0.25 metres wide; the surface of the stone is not eroded. It is possibly a robbed cairn, the stones being that which was robbed, resulting in the displacing of the contents of the mound. The feature is possibly that recorded by McDonnell. [1, 2] As part of the Exmoor Mires Project, South West Archaeology were contracted to undertake a non-intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on Deer Park, which covered this site.  This site was visited by the Historic Environment Officer of the Exmoor Mires Project as part of a non- intrustive walkover survey of the proposed mire restoration area on Deer Park.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1994. [Mapped feature: #40748 ]
- <2> SDE79935 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1993/4. Archaeological Survey of Exe Plain/Lanacombe. Field record number 251.
- <3> SEM8034 Report: Walls, S. and Morris, B.. 2012. Deer Park, Exmoor: Results of a walkover survey. 20, 21, 22, 24, 37.
- <4> SEM8035 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2013. Archaeological walkover surveys on Deer Park, Exmoor. 11, 17, 18, 23.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1029849, Extant 18 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7640 3836 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029849 (Original Monarch entry: 1029849)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12549
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Deer Park): EDP12(70)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE70
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1029849
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35751
Record last edited
Nov 18 2021 11:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.