MSO7040 - Kittuck Meads Sheepfold (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Circular banked enclosure at Three Combes Foot.  "Sheepfold" printed on Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map. [2,3] The enclosure comprises a circular stone faced bank 18 metres in diameter and 1 metre high with a southern entrance. There are beech trees on the bank and it is recorded as having been constructed shortly after 1878 following the loss of many sheep in severe snowstorms. It is in good condition. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8243.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3065.
- <3> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000. SS84SW.
- <4> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8223 4395 (19m by 20m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975001 (Pastscape entry: 975001)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10911
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW98
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 975001
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33050
Record last edited
Mar 14 2017 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.