MSO7040 - Kittuck Meads Sheepfold (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Circular banked enclosure at Three Combes Foot.  "Sheepfold" printed on Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map. [2,3] A sheep stell (SS 8224 4396) lies on a raised spur of land in Three Combes Foot, at about 360 metres above Ordnance Datum. The circular enclosure comprises a stone faced bank, 18 metres in diameter and 1 metre high, with an entrance in its sheltered south side. The bank is surmounted by beech trees. The stell is recorded as having been constructed shortly after March 1878, when severe snow storms resulted in the loss of 40 sheep at Larkbarrow in a single night .  The feature was recorded using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was carried out by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The sheepfold is depicted and labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8243.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3065.
- <3> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000. SS84SW.
- <4> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. p119.
- <5> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2001, English Heritage Field Investigation.
- <6> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 975001, Extant 6 July 2021.
- <8>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #43461 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8223 4395 (19m by 20m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975001 (Pastscape entry: 975001)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10911
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW98
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975001
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33050
Record last edited
Jul 6 2021 1:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.