MSO7019 - Post-medieval turf stack on Swap Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A low round mound, 7 paces in diameter, with a rounded top and a possible low tail on the north side, is located on Swap Hill. The mound is 0.4 metres high and the tail is 0.25 metres high. There is evidence of peat cutting to the west, and so it may be a peat mound. [1-3] During a rapid assessment and walkover survey in 2013 earthworks were seen which were interpreted as the decayed remains of turf stacks, piles of cut peat stacked for drying. A small, sub-circular peaty mound was visible, measuring 4.5 metres north-south, 2.5 metres east-west and 0.6 metres high. This is located on the east edge of an area of disused, rectangular turf pits (MSO10402).  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. [No title]. 22 July 1982. [Mapped feature: #38235 ]
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. P.82.
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.64 (site 75).
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 39.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974789, Extant 6 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8105 4263 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974789 (Pastscape entry: 974789)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11025
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW105
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974789
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33164
Record last edited
Jul 6 2021 4:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.