MSO10402 - Peat Cutting, Swap Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Irregular shaped, shallow and eroded peat cutting on Swap Hill, measure c0.2-0.25 metres in depth. A shell hole in one trench confirms a pre-war date. It is more extensive on the ground than can be seen in aerial photographs. (1) An extensive area of peat cutting on Swap Hill of probable post medieval date can be seen as numerous irregularly shaped, densely packed pits and disturbed ground on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 80934263. The pits are mainly small and rectilinear in shape, but vary in size from less than 5 metres long and 2 metres wide, to large excavations over 90 metres in length and over 10 metres wide. The larger pits may more readily reflect the cumulative nature of peat cutting on Exmoor, where one family may cut the same peat beds or turbary, known locally as a 'turf', for generations as part of their commoner's rights. In total, this area of peat cutting covers over less than four hectares. Similar, but much more extensive cuttings can be seen to the north and east. Due to the difficult nature of the evidence, which can vary in appearance on aerial photographs from year to year, the transcription attempts only to convey the general area of the excavations and character of pits and should not be taken as a definitive transcription of the extent of the cuttings. (2-3) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. 05/07/1982.
- <2> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3107-8. 08/11/1952.
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8091 4261 (285m by 189m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477942 (Pastscape entry: 1477942)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2494
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW244
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1477942
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18813
Record last edited
Aug 20 2015 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.