MSO7008 - Post-medieval catchwater leats at Woolcombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 79903431 on steep south-west-facing slopes in a combe to the west of Woolcombe farm, is a system of catchwater leats. [1,2] A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks west of Woolcombe Farm, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7990 3431, four leats are visible stretching across a southwest facing slope above a small tributary of Sherdon Water. This system appears to be connected to the farmyard at Woolcombe, suggesting that this was an integrated system which also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser to the fields. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1,3-6] The catch water meadow system will post-date the enclosure of Exmoor Forest and the construction of Woolcombe Farm which occurred after 1818 ( SJB ref Inclosure Map)
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1995.
- <2> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. 38.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 123-24 (7 May 1996).
- <4> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-29.
- <5> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . LHL CPE/UK/1980 3370 and 4158 (April 1947).
- <6> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7983 3432 (571m by 413m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=923022 (Original Monarch entry: 923022)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO330
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11800
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE32
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 923022
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34372
Record last edited
Jan 15 2015 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.