MEM23251 - Woolcombe Farm, Exmoor (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. The main range at c. SS 8008 3425 (including the farmhouse) does not change between these two maps but a separate building sited at SS 8010 3423 was apparently enlarged between each survey. Since this date, the buildings have apparently been subject to some small alterations or additions but further large scale modern agricultural buildings have also been added to the site to the northeast and northwest. [1-3] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997. The house was described as small and 19th Century in date. On one end was noted a range of 19th Century rubble farm buildings ending with a right angle, suggesting the yard was in front of the house. The buildings were in disuse at the time. The large scale 20th Century buildings were then noted behind the site and suggested an obviously active farm. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 189.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8008 3424 (56m by 59m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 189
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 11:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.