MSO6996 - Ditched Mound, North West of Barkham (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Possible ring barrow or platform barrow. The monument consists of a ditched platform approximately 0.5 metres high and 7 paces in diameter with 0.6 metre wide ditch. The site is covered in a fine shorter grass than the surrounding area. (1) Centred at SS 77963421 on south-east facing slopes at 391 metres above ordnanace datum is a sub-circular ditched mound. It is flat-topped and measures 6.8 metres north to south by 6.9 metres and 0.4 metres high. It is surrounded by a shallow, sharp-sided ditch 0.9 metres wide and 0.2 metres deep. The ditch fades on the southern, downslope side; on the north-east there is a short stretch of external bank 0.1 metres high. The purpose of the mound is not clear. Its sub-circular shape is reminiscent of a barrow, but the sharply cut encircling ditch suggests that the sharply cut feature is post-medieval. The ditch is clearly a diagnostic feature and can be compared with the sharp ditch which encircles the rectangular and circular mounds on Sherdon Hill (see MSO6799). These features have been interpreted as peat burning mounds and this mound lies close to an area of shallow peat cutting. Its interpretation in this context would not preclude the feature being a prehistoric barrow in origin. (2) The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs of the area. A second barrow is visible approximately 150 metres north-east of this location (see MSO6997). (3-4)
- <1> SSO1072 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H. 15.09.80. Eardley-Wilmot, H to Somerset County Council.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. 12/01/1995.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 765-66. 17/04/1973.
- <4> SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7795 3420 (18m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909013 (Pastscape entry: 909013)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO303
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10991
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909013
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33130
Record last edited
Jul 10 2012 9:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.