MSO6989 - Hoaroak Hill Sheepfold (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS7457 4313. A sheepfold shown and annotated 'Sheepfold' on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map. (5) It is set on a slight shelf, about 360 metres above OD, on a northeast-facing slope in an area of rough grass and bracken. It is 18 metres in diameter within a turf bank 3 metres wide and up to 1.1 metres high. The turf has come from a surrounding external ditch about 2 metres wide and 0.5 metres deep. There is a causewayed entrance about 1 metres wide at the northwest. It is reminiscent of sheep stells in the Scottish Borders and probably dates from the late 19th century when it was introduced to the moor by the Scottish shepherds brought in by Frederick Knight. Published Survey 1:2500 accepted. (1) The circular sheepfold, as described above, is clearly visible on aerial photographs. (2,6+7) According to Burton, Robert Little, a shepherd from Dumfries-shire employed by Frederic Knight in the mid-19th century, mentions the construction of circular sheep stells as an inexpensive method of farming sheep in his notebook in 1879. It seems likely that he introduced this particular technique to Exmoor, perhaps as a direct result of the adverse weather conditions in 1878, in which many sheep were lost on Exmoor. (3) Small circular banked enclosure with entrance in North West corner. (4) This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury, I. S. 16/09/1994.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1501 3221-22. 13/05/1946.
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P.119-120.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7473.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <6> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3078.
- <7> SSO132 Aerial photograph: 1990. DAP QM5-7 SCED.
- <8> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <9> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 34.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7456 4313 (44m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895579 (Pastscape entry: 895579)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO299
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10968
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW79
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 895579
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33107
Record last edited
Dec 4 2013 4:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.