MSO6967 - Bronze Age burial cairn associated with Lanacombe III stone setting (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A low, oval cairn of small size stones, part covered in bracken and rush. It measures 4 metres northwest-southeast by 3.4 metres and a maximum 0.6 metres high. The downhill (southeast) side is highest; the uphill is a scatter of stones no more than 0.1 metre high. 5 metres to the northwest is a prehistoric stone setting (MSO6949). Such an association of cairn and setting is known elsewhere in the immediate area (See MSO6819 setting and MSO6970 cairn, and MSO6948 setting and MSO6968 and MSO6969 cairns).  As previously described. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 December 1988.
- <2> SMO5632 Survey: Wilson-North, R.. Lanacombe Ink survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 July 1994.
- <5> SSO1870 Survey: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 74 SE 92.
- <6> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||SS 7861 4298 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890217 (Pastscape entry: 890217)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12398
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE92
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 890217
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33114
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35594
Record last edited
Dec 23 2015 11:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.