MSO6967 - Bronze Age burial cairn associated with Lanacombe III stone setting (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A low, oval cairn of small size stones, part covered in bracken and rush. It measures 4 metres northwest-southeast by 3.4 metres and a maximum 0.6 metres high. The downhill (southeast) side is highest; the uphill is a scatter of stones no more than 0.1 metre high. 5 metres to the northwest is a prehistoric stone setting (MSO6949). Such an association of cairn and setting is known elsewhere in the immediate area (See MSO6819 setting and MSO6970 cairn, and MSO6948 setting and MSO6968 and MSO6969 cairns). [1-3] As previously described. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [2-4] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 December 1988.
- <2> SMO5632 Technical drawing: Wilson-North, R.. 1994. Lanacombe, SS 74 SE 49-51, 73, 88, 92-94, 105-106, 108, 122/ink survey. 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO5831 Collection: RCHME Exeter. 1993-1999. Exmoor Project.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 July 1994.
- <5> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <7>XY SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890217, Extant 26 May 2021. [Mapped feature: #47239 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7862 4300 (point) Not known which source generated NGR|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890217 (Pastscape entry: 890217)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12398
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE92
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890217
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33114
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35594
Record last edited
May 26 2021 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.