MSO6956 - Natural outcrop north of Cow Castle (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 794 375 Cairn. At approximately SS 794 375 a possible cairn was observed on the spur at the southern extremity of Winstitchen and about 160 metres north of Cow Castle. This was seen in January 1989 from the Horsen stone setting some 350 metres to the southwest.  The alleged cairn located on the spur at the southern extremity of Winstitchen is a natural outcrop. It is centred at SS 7939 3756, and comprises a ridge of living rock (a rock outcrop still attached to the bedrock) some 0.4 metres high on a northwest to southeast alignment. When viewed from Cow Castle or Horsen, this feature has the appearance of a cairn, but is clearly natural in origin.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. CJ Dunn, RCHME Exeter.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 867936, Extant 17 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 793 375 (point) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867936 (Original Monarch entry: 867936)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12520
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE38
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 867936
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35722
Record last edited
Nov 17 2021 12:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.