MSO6837 - Barrow on the southeast spur of The Chains (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 7470 4140] Tumulus (NR)  Exmoor No. 3, a ditched barrow 13 paces in diameter and 2.5 feet high; there is a slight hollow in the centre. Visited by Grinsell 8th Sept 1959.  Scheduled.  This is a small bowl barrow with slight traces of a ditch. See GPs AO/65/128/3 and 4. Published survey (1/2500) revised.  No change.  This or Exmoor 2 (MSO6836) may have been called Exaborough in the 17th Century.  SS 7470 4141. A well-defined barrow situated in rough grassland, about 475 metres above sea level, on the centre of the south-east spur of The Chains. The site is scheduled.The barrow is visible as a flat-topped, turf-covered, earth and stone mound, 12.3 metres in diameter and 0.8 metres high. It has been robbed from the south-east leaving a central hollow, 3 metres east to west by 2 metres and 0.4 metres deep, now containing the remains of an iron feeding barrel. Spoil from the hollow has been dumped on either side of the access trench in two heaps in the south-west and south-east quadrants. There spoil heaps have increased the original height of the barrow by some 0.4 metres. There are the traces of an encircling ditch, about 1.5 metres wide and 0.3 metres deep, visible as a shallow, rushfilled, hollow around the base of the mound. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The barrow described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs. However, there is no trace of the surrounding ditch as described by authority 7. The barrow lies in a marshy area, surrounded by a large area of post medieval peat cutting and drainage, and some evidence may have been destroyed by this activity.  The barrow is 0.75 metres high and 15 metres in diameter.  The barrow shows on aerial photographs as two small mounds and a small distinct circle of lighter vegetation.  In private ownership.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 16,32.
- <3> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978. P. 117.
- <4> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 Palmer, J. 01/07/1965.
- <5> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F2 Fletcher, M. J. 05/02/1975.
- <6> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 402.
- <7> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury , I. S. 03/05/1995.
- <8> SEM7731 Index: English Heritage. 1987. County List of Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Somerset 24 County No.173.
- <9> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 175-76. 27/04/1964.
- <10> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <11> SSO1247 Report: Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission. Field Monument Warden Report.
- <12> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7441.
- <13> SSO286 Aerial photograph: April 1947. LHL CPE.UK.1970. 3152.
- <14> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <15> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <16> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7470 4140 (21m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35331 (Pastscape entry: 35331)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO94
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10893
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35331
- Scheduled Monument (County Number): Somerset 173
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33032
Record last edited
Nov 2 2015 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.