MSO6771 - Wheal Gregory Iron and Copper Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Mining lease granted January 1857 on 'Wheal Gregory Iron and Copper Mine' which were already in operation. A report of 1859 stated that there was no sign of copper in the 2 lodes that had been opened but considerable quantities of iron could be expected. However the distance to the coast would make mining it uneconomic. There were plans for a tramway to Porlock but the money seems not to have been raised. The mine was offered for sale in 1863 but the outcome is not known.  Adits were shown on the 1979 1:10,000 map at SS 8549 3734 and SS 8528 3765. As well as the two adits there is a low bank forming a sub-rectangular enclosure in the field southwest of Court Copse at SS 8555 3742 and spoil heaps at Southcott to the northeast at SS 857 377 (MMO2820). [2-4] The remains of Wheal Gregory mine are visible as earthworks approximately 1km to the south of Exford, centred on circa SS 85373738. The remains comprise adits, spoil heaps cut by barrow-run trackways and a low curvilinear enclosure bank. The latter is clearly visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork in an irregularly shaped field to the south-west of Court Plantation, centred on circa SS 85333732, and has been transcribed with neighbouring trackways as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. The additional mine features were unfortunately obscured from the survey by dense vegetation cover.  The site comprises a typical mine with spoil heaps and adits. The latter have been either filled in or blocked off. The barrow runs in the spoil heaps are still well preserved. 
- <1> SSO1886 Unassigned: Ridler, J W. 30.6.1980. Wheal Gregory. JW Ridler, 30 June 1980 - notes given to SCPD.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8537D and SS8537E.
- <3> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . CPE.UK.1980 3314 (April 1947).
- <4> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD.HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85, 9328 (September 1971).
- <5> SSO1428 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1979. 1:10,000. 1:10,000.
- <6> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8537/3 (15885/27) (19 March 1998).
- <7>XY SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192. [Mapped feature: #39966 ]
- <8> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. E Dennison, 23 March 1987.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 854 374 (436m by 485m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974573 (Original Monarch entry: 974573)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO392
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11290
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE40
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974573
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33632
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 4:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.