MMO2820 - Post-medieval quarry west of Southcott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large pit, probably the remains of quarry of post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork at Southcott, Exford parish, centred on circa SS 85683773. The pit is located to the eastern side of a field to the south of Court Farm, aligned upon a trackway to the Farm. It is irregularly shaped but measures 82 metres long, north to south, where it abuts the line of the track. At its widest point it measures approximately 33metres. The southern extent of the pit corresponds with an un-annotated linear earthwork pit marked in this location on the on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890. By the second edition of 1903 this feature is annotated as Old Quarry, indicating it had passed out of use by this time. However, at some point following 1903 this pit must have been extended significantly to create the large feature now visible on aerial photographs. The product of the pit is unclear from the aerial photographs alone. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 602-3 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <4> SMO7575 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NE. MD002192.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8568 3774 (47m by 93m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484943 (Original Monarch entry: 1484943)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE99
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484943
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 4:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.