MSO6768 - Post-medieval or modern waterwheel at Court Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of a water wheel at Court Farm, south of Exford. The wheel pit, bearings and gear are still extant. The wheel was 19 feet in diameter and c.2.5 feet wide, powered by leat from a tributary of the River Exe. Remains of a wood flume were noted in the last 15 feet.  It is not clear in which building the water wheel is housed; there is a building at SS 8561 3796 that first appears on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and is now within a range known as 'Court Mill'. The building is directly to the south of a stream running east-west (and also shown on the 2nd Edition map), which then runs past Court Cottage and Court House (both again shown on the map). [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, SIAS, 23 November 1977.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 15 August 2013.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974563, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 856 379 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974563 (Original Monarch entry: 974563)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11277
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE37
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974563
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33618
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 12:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.