MSO6288 - Ranscombe Settlement and medieval bridge (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A decayed bridge at Ranyscombe is mentioned in the Court Rolls of 1538-53: "Bridge of Ranyscombe decayed and town of Ranyscombe".  The historic extent of Ranscombe has been mapped using maps available to the HER. It should be noted that the settlement may have extended beyond the polygonised area. [3-6]
- <1> SEM340775 Unpublished document: Anonymous. 1538-1553. Translation of Court Rolls from Henry VIII to Mary I.
- <2> SEM7537 Report: Milby, S.. 2010. Timberscombe to Wootton Courtenay, Exmoor, Somerset. P.1.
- <3> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <6> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9471 4325 (307m by 446m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086567 (Pastscape entry: 1086567)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11784
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086567
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34356
Record last edited
Aug 3 2020 2:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.