MSO6288 - Ranscombe settlement and medieval bridge (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A decayed bridge at Ranyscombe is mentioned in the Court Rolls of 1538-53: "Bridge of Ranyscombe decayed and town of Ranyscombe".  The historic extent of Ranscombe has been mapped using maps available to the HER. It should be noted that the settlement may have extended beyond the polygonised area. [3-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM340775 Unpublished document: Anonymous. 1800-1899. Manor of Wootton Courtney. [1538-1553].
- <2> SEM7537 Report: Milby, S.. 2010. Timberscombe to Wootton Courtenay, Exmoor, Somerset. P.1.
- <3> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <6> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1086567, Extant 24 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9471 4325 (307m by 446m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1086567 (Pastscape entry: 1086567)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11784
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1086567
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34356
Record last edited
May 24 2022 1:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.