MSO6280 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Dunkery Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small, well preserved cairn lies on the east slope of Dunkery hill at SS 91345 42734. It comprises a stony mound, 7.4 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. There has been some disturbance on the north side, and a few small hollows lie in the centre of the mound. The cairn lies on a recently burnt area, below the main concentation of cairns around Robin How and Joany How (MSO6251 & MSO7397). The site was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project. [1,2] SS 9134 4273. Round cairn on Dunkery Hill. Forms part of a round cairn cemetery, the centre of which lies roughly 500 metres upslope to the north west. Scheduled on 23 April 2003.  This cairn has been transcribed as an earthwork from aerial photographs as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. Centred on circa SS 9134 4273, the cairn is roughly circular and appears to be up to 9 metres in diameter. It is one of eight cairns recorded in this area as part of the NMP survey, although more are certainly present but not visible on the aerial photographs available. This monument is clearly visible only on aerial photographs of 1970. [4,5] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 March 1997.
- <2> SSO1875 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor Survey Record.
- <3> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 172-3 (23 September 1970).
- <5>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #38406 ]
- <6> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 91345 42737 (11m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1082211 (Pastscape entry: 1082211)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO527
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10221
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW80
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1082211
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16205
Record last edited
Aug 3 2020 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.