MSO6279 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Dunkery Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large cairn lies on the eastern slope of Dunkery Hill at SS 91268 42581. It comprises a circular stony mound with a heather-covered outer rim, 17 metres in diameter and 1metre high. In the north quadrant is a small pile of stones and a recently constructed shelter 1.8 metres square. The cairn was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project. [1,2] Cairn with many stones exposed 18 paces diameter and 3ft high (Wootton Courtenay 3).  Overgrown and disturbed, 0.8 metres high.  Hollow centre with external rim of stones. In good condition.  SS 9125 4258. Round cairn on Dunkery Hill. Forms part of a round cairn cemetery, the centre of which lies roughly 500 metres upslope to the north west.Scheduled on 23 April 2003.  This cairn has been transcribed as an earthwork from aerial photographs as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. Centred on circa SS 9127 4257, the cairn is roughly circular and 17 metres in diameter. It is one of eight cairns recorded in this area as part of the NMP survey, although more are certainly present but not visible on the aerial photographs available. [8,10,11] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 March 1997.
- <2> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR Site SS 94 SW 79.
- <3> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 25 & 43.
- <4> SSO1755 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94SW. 14.
- <5> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34350.
- <6> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <7> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 9142.
- <8> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3233, 3234, 3177 & 3178.
- <9> SSO246 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 81. 8686.
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 172-3 (23 September 1970).
- <11> SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186.
- <12> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <13> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 91271 42579 (21m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1082148 (Pastscape entry: 1082148)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO526
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11780
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW79
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1082148
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34350
Record last edited
Aug 3 2020 3:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.