MSO6278 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Dunkery Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large cairn lies on the easr slopes of Dunkery Hill at SS 91070 42643. It comprises a circular stony mound with a heather covered outer rim, 18 metres in diameter and 1 metre high. A subcircular depression in the centre is 4.5 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres deep. The cairn was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project.  SS 9105 4264. Round cairn on Dunkery Hill, forming part of a round cairn cemetery, the centre of which lies roughly 500 metres upslope to the north west. Scheduled.  This cairn has been transcribed as an earthwork from aerial photographs as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. Centred on circa SS 9107 4264, the cairn appears slightly ovoid in shape and is up to circa 24 metres in diameter. It is one of eight cairns recorded in this area as part of the survey, although more are certainly present but not visible on the aerial photographs available. [3,4] Cairn with many stones exposed 24 paces diameter and 3.5ft high (Wootton Courtenay 2).  Found from aerial photographs.  Overgrown and disturbed, 1 metre high.  Hollow in centre.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 March 1997.
- <2> SSO1122 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 13/5/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3178.
- <4> SSO254 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 91, September. 8686.
- <5> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 43.
- <6> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3233 and 3234.
- <7> SSO1755 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94SW. 14.
- <8> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 34349.
- <9> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9107 4264 (28m by 28m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1082143 (Pastscape entry: 1082143)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO525
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11779
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW78
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1082143
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34349
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 3:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.