MSO6255 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Dunkery Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 9103 4279 is an overgrown and disturbed cairn, 0.8 metres high. [6,7] Surveyed at 1:2500.  (SS 9103 4279) Wootton Courtenay 4. Listed with reference to Ordnance Survey record.  A large cairn lies on the north-east slope of Dunkery Hill at SS 91026 42799. It comprises a circular, stony mound 17 metres in diameter and 1.1 metres high. There is some disturbance in the north-east quadrant. A pit, 2.8 metres square, with upcast around it, lies in the centre of the mound. The cairn was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project.  Round cairn on Dunkery Hill, forming part of a prehistoric round cairn cemetery. Scheduled.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0.
- <1> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 18 June 1965.
- <2> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. P. 25 & 43.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 March 1997.
- <4> SMO4073 Index: Scheduled Monument Notification .
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK 1980 3178-9, 3233-4.
- <6> SMO1517 Photograph: CAIRN AT SS 9103,4279, WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM NORTH WEST. OS65/F140/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <7> SMO1516 Photograph: CAIRN AT SS 91903,4279, WOOTTON COURTENAY FROM NORTH WEST. OS65/F140/2. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <8> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9100 4280 (21m by 22m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36996 (Pastscape entry: 36996)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11781
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36996
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34351
Record last edited
Jan 27 2016 2:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.