MSO12639 - World War Two military road at North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A metalled track leading off Hill Road (MSO7609) at SS 9255 4789 to the military installations on the hill to the south of West Myne (MSO7585). See MMO627 for general information on the tank ranges.  The trackway can be seen on aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8. It leads northwards from SS 9256 4780 to SS92524851. Here it forks, with one route heading north to West Myne (MSO7585) and the other northwest, giving access to Target Railway B and an observation post (MSO8088), and the cliffs beyond.  Some of the routeways are shown on 2018 MasterMap data.  The section leading from Hill Road to West Myne is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. In places, the route has shifted away from its original course, presumably as desire lines formed. 
- <1> SSO1872 Survey: RCHME. 1998. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 94 NW 123.
- <2>XY SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. [Mapped feature: #46217 ]
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9222 4838 (813m by 1190m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35850
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.