MSO12634 - Minehead and Williton Isolation Hospital, Venniford Cross (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The former isolation hospital was built in 1905 and consisted of two ward blocks, office, mortuary and laundry. The buildings were rendered with tiled roofs and have since been converted to houses.  The site is shown as a clear plot on the 1904 six inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The 25 inch Ordnance Survey map from 1929 depicts and labels the Isolation Hospital site. It includes a site labelled "Mortuary", which appears to relate to a rectangular building at SS 9327 4578.  The site is labelled "Tivington Heights" on the 1962 six inch Ordnance Survey map. The mortuary is still labelled. A tank is also shown at SS 9333 4571.  The 25 inch 1972 Ordnance Survey map shows the site subdivided and with the buildings in domestic use. The mortuary is no longer labelled but still appears to be depicted. The tank is no longer depicted or labelled.  Nearly all of the original buildings shown on the 1929 map appear to be depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO6318 Collection: Morrison, K., and Taylor, R.F.. 1992. MINEHEAD AND WILLITON ISOLATION HOSPITAL, VENNIFORD CROSS.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1904.
- <3> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <5> SEM7412 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1972. 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #34173 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1052036, Extant 12 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9329 4576 (94m by 123m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1052036 (Pastscape entry: 1052036)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8060
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8061
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8062
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8063
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8064
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW85
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 100428
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1052036
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35845
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 3:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.