MEM24845 - Post-medieval quarry southeast of Venniford Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels an old quarry at SS 9323 4575.  The Tithe Map for Selworthy shows the area in which the quarry is situated is a land parcel labelled 636. This was part of Blackford Farm, owned by Sir Charles Dyke Acland, Bart, and occupied by James Brown. The parcel is described as "limekiln and waste".  The feature is shown similarly on the 2nd Edition map as it is on the 1st Edition.  By the time the 3rd Edition map had been surveyed, an isolation hospital had been constructed to the east of the site (MSO12634). The very eastern end of the quarry had been included within the land parcel associated with the hospital, although the feature itself did not appear altered.  The quarry is not depicted on 2020 MasterMap data, but is within a large area of woodland and shrub. Most of the area of quarry within the hospital's land parcel is also marked similarly, suggesting it has not been altered, although the very edge has been incorporated into a private garden and appears to have a small structure on its border. 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46549 ]
- <2> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 636.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SSO1533 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1929. County Series, 3rd Edition 25 inch map. 1:25,000.
- <5> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9321 4576 (95m by 65m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 18 2020 10:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.