MSO12575 - Mare Pool Pond, Hawkridge Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 8507 3090, to the southeast of Hawkridge Common, are the remains of a quarry. The field is known locally as "Mare's Pool" and the site as "Mare's Pool Pond". This is presumably because until recently it contained water. The quarry is now filled with farm rubbish. [1-3] Shown as pond on 1998 Ordnance Survey map.  The site was photographed in June 2017 during the Exmoor Signpost Project 2017-8. The pool was noted to have been a dew pond but had been filled in. The sign post on the adjacent road junction (MEM24453) was named after this pond.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map labels the site as an old quarry and depicts an earthwork filled with water. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Tom Lock, The Old Post Office, Hawkridge, Dulverton, Somerset.
- <3> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 January 1995.
- <4> SSO1484 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1998. 1:2500 digital.
- <5> SEM8519 Unpublished document: Various. 2017-8. Exmoor and West Somerset Main Signpost Survey. WH4.
- <6>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #34158 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8506 3090 (39m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8730
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE50
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1028675
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35782
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 10:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.