MSO12494 - Possible World War Two guard hut on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The concrete pads for two military buildings lie on either side of the military road on North Hill at SS 95558 47286 and SS 95545 47268, measuring 11 by 5 metres and 10.5 by 7.5 metres. These buildings probably guarded access to the World War Two training area on North Hill. They were recorded as part of the RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill.  SS 9555 4726 A Second World War military building, visible as a structure and mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located along the north side of Hill Road on the southern edge of Moor Wood on Minehead's North Hill (SS 9555 4728), the building appears to be of Nissen hut design. Aligned northwest to southeast alongside Hill Road, it is about 21 metres long and 5.5 metres wide, with four window bays in its southwestern side, facing the road. It is associated with the extensive military training area, tank firing range and tank marshalling area that covered North Hill during the war and although it is not possible to positively identify the function of the structure, its location at the side of the main military access road to the area suggests a guardroom /orderly room. Although the concrete base is still extant, the building was no longer visible in 1950. [2-4]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. SS 94 NE 66, p12, 28.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3007-3008 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 541/544 3004-3005 (1 June 1950).
- <4>XY SMO7558 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NE. MD002175. [Mapped feature: #42960 p12]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9555 4728 (24m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102262 (Original Monarch entry: 1102262)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO643
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7608
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE66
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102262
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35695
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.