MSO12462 - World War Two military target on North Hill (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large fragment of metal 1.2m square and pierced by many bullet holes, thought to be the remains of a metal target, lie on North Hill at SS 94228 47988. It may be part of armour from a military vehicle. It is associated with the use of the area for military training in World War Two and was recorded by the RCHME as part of a survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill.  SS 94205 47929. The site was visited in November 2017. It was agreed to remove the item from the site.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. RCHME. SS 94 NW 99, p25.
- <2>XY SEM8592 Report: Blaylock, S.. 2017. HER Input Form: Military features on North Hill. [Mapped feature: #45070 p25]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1102302, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 9420 4792 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102302 (Pastscape entry: 1102302)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7612
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW99
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1102302
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35663
Record last edited
May 11 2022 4:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.