MSO12344 - Bronze Age round barrow north of Landacre Bridge, Withypool (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8189 3736. Damaged round barrow c.11 paces diameter and 4 feet high. North side obliterated by parish boundary ditch and bank. N.B. See MSO11745. [1,2] Centred at SS 8144 3739 is a prehistoric barrow. It lies some 450 metres west of the National Grid Reference cited by , but is clearly the same feature (see MSO11745). However, the barrow was first recorded by DW Warren for the Ordnance Survey in 1972, when he described it as a tumulus 5 metres in diameter and 1.1 meetre high, and surveyed it . The barrow, which is cut by the parish boundary separating Withypoole and Exford, consists of the remains of a subcircular turf and heather covered stony mound 9.6 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. Its nothern arc has been overlain and destroyed by the parish boundary bank, and nothing is visible in the field to the north. The accompanying hedge ditch has cut into the fabric of the barrow, and the spoil deposited on the barrow itself, as a discrete mound (0.4 metres high). Resurveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The barrow is shown on the Tithe Map for Exford.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The feature is depicted and labelled "Tumulus" on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO1059 Unpublished document: Eardley Wilmot, H. 16.09.80. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council 16.09.80 - discovery.
- <2> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. 34313.
- <3> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. DW Warren, Ordnance Survey. Surveyed at 1:2,500 onto MSD SS 8137.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 August 1995.
- <5> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974412, Extant 27 July 2021.
- <7>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #34111 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8142 3740 (21m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8710
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974412
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35532
Record last edited
Feb 7 2022 2:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.