MSO12291 - Second World War pillbox, West Porlock (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A beach defence pillbox survives in good condition.  By the side of the road overlooking the coast. Completely overgrown.  Pillbox type FW3/24.  A pillbox at West porlock was recorded in the Somerset SMR (no 35386). The pillbox lies in the corner of a field, close to the Porlock Weir road, on the edge of West Porlock at SS 8701 4716. The pillbox was completely covered with vegetation at the time of the field visit (July 1998) and no measurements could be taken.  The Second World War type 24 pillbox was not visible in aerial photographs viewed as part of the Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment, due to the dense foliage cover at that location (SS 8701 4716).  Large brick-built pillbox, covered in undergrowth. LOCATION: North side of West Porlock Village, Porlock Weir side. 
- <1> SSO1259 Unassigned: Hellis, J.. March 1994. Fortress Study Group. Ref JH.00114.
- <2> SSO2067 Unassigned: Webster, CJ SMRO. 9.11.94.
- <3> SSO896 Unpublished document: Dawson T. 2002. How effective is archaeological fieldwork in identifying different building types of the WW2 defensive installations along the North Somerset coast between Porlock Weir and Watchet. Unpublished A level report.
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley, H 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO7035 (No record type): CROWTHER, SC. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. Crowther SW 2007 Severn Estuary RCZA.
- <6> SMO7538 Digital archive: 2002. Defence of Britain. DEB01. S0003041.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8700 4716 (15m by 14m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1158232 (Original Monarch entry:1158232)
- DoB Anti Invasion Database UID: S0003041
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1110
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7983
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE 108 Defence of Britain Project
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE76
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1158232
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1419038 Defence of Britain Project
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35386
Record last edited
May 4 2016 2:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.