MSO12272 - Hurdle Down Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8395 4210 "roughly". Exford 6, a bowl barrow. Hurdle Down Barrow shown on 1846 Tithe Map of Almsworthy Common, field number 33. Noted by AT Wicks before 1939 when the map was at Taunton Castle.  Grinsell  does not give dimensions for this barrow and states a "rough" grid reference for the feature, suggesting he may not have located it on the ground. The Tithe Map for Exford  shows this area as being part of land parcel 1202; it is shown on 2020 MasterMap data as part of Almsworthy Common, with Hurdle Down being on the Stoke Pero side of the Parish boundary to the northeast . Land parcel 33 on the Exford  and Stoke Pero  Tithe Maps is within enclosed land on both documents, at a distance from Hurdle Down. No barrow is immediately visible on the Stoke Pero Tithe Map within the near locality of the grid reference cited by Grinsell . There is a map lodged with the South West Heritage Trust dated 1846 relating to the enclosure of Almsworthy . This map depicts a field parcel labelled 33 in this location, owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland Bart; however, no barrow is shown on this map. It is possible, however, that another copy of the same map may have included the barrow.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1655 Unassigned: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. record card SS 84 SW. 61.
- <2>XY SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. 32. [Mapped feature: #46534 32]
- <3> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <5> SSO667 Map: 1841. Stoke Pero Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM8822 Map: Hawkes, T.. 1846. Almsworthy enclosure map. 26.6 inches : 1 mile. Pen and Ink.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 4 March 2020.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36320, Extant 12 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8395 4210 (point) Grinsell notes this location as "roughly". It's not clear if he located the barrow on the ground.|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36320 (Pastscape entry: 36320)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6741
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW61
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36320
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35341
Record last edited
Jul 12 2021 8:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.