MSO12236 - World War Two military emplacement on Trout Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 790 422. A stone setting possibly of rhomboidal form on Trout Hill. See Type site MSO7903.  There is no trace of a stone setting at the National Grid Reference cited and it is undoubtedly a duplication of another on Trout Hill (MSO6819) to judge by Grinsell's photograph.  There is no trace of a stone setting here. The location is wrong for a setting being on a blind, valley floor. The only feature in the locality is a military emplacement and a few scattered stones around it. The site is almost certainly spurious; the result of an erroneous National Grid Reference by Grinsell, when his photograph is clearly MSO6819.  A rhomboidal setting on Trout Hill, noted by Grinsell in 1970. Its grid reference is inaccurate and it is evidently a duplication of MSO6819.  There is no trace of a stone setting here. The location is wrong for a setting being on a blind, valley floor. The only feature in the locality is a military emplacement and a few scattered stones around it. 
- <1> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 190, photograph 36.
- <2> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 5 February 1975.
- <3> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 December 1988.
- <4> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS74SE29 p48.
- <5> SSO1870 Survey: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 74 SE29.
|Grid reference||SS 79011 42190 (point) (Surveyed)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6926
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE29
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35290
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35301
Record last edited
Feb 13 2017 2:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.