MSO12230 - Natural stones on Ricksy Ball (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible double stone row with five recumbent stones and one upright reported in 1990 at SS 7360 3862. An extensive search in 1992 failed to locate this site. [1,2] Site relocated with revised grid reference. Fifteen stones recorded, planned and photographed. A V-shaped arrangement of five single stones and two groups of five each. Two of the fifteen not located in 1995.  An extensive search of the area failed to locate these stones, and misty conditions precluded the identification of the panoramic details on one photograph . Natural surface stones occur over the area though widely dispersed. The arrangement of stones indicated by canes in the photograph is not especially persuasive of a double row and the single upright may be an outcrop stone, a common feature on Exmoor. 
- <1> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 867269, M Walker, 3 June 1990.
- <2> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS73NW34 p52.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. M Walker, 1995.
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1990.
|Grid reference||SS 7357 3847 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW34
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 867269
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35295
Record last edited
Feb 13 2017 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.