MSO12225 - Disputed stone row or setting near East Pinford (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Upright, two stubs and a recumbent noted in 1989.  SS 795 426 (but indicated on the map at SS 7951 4265). A possible stone setting or row represented by two stones, one recumbent and the other upright, was reported in June 1990 near the junction of two tributaries of Badgworthy Water . The RCHME fieldwork in 1992 found no evidence of a setting. Visible stones, comprising upright blocks and part buried elongated grounders, all appear to be natural occurrences.  SS 795 426, but indicated on map at SS 7951 4265. A possible stone setting of an upright stone and recumbent stone reported in 1990 near the junction of two waters. RCHME found no evidence of a setting and visible stones appear natural.  Location improbable for a setting but likely for natural outcrops.  No change noted in condition of site.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 35290, M Walker, 1989, Photograph.
- <2> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 January 1992.
- <3> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS74SE102 p48.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. A Preece, 1994.
- <5> SSO1964 Unassigned: Walker M. 1995. PRN 33038. PRN 33038, M Walker, 1 September 1995.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890360, Extant 2 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7951 4265 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890360 (Pastscape entry: 890360)
- http://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/35290 (Somerset HER entry: 35290)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6972
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE102
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890360
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35290
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 12:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.