MSO12217 - Post-medieval pottery kiln at Pools Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
"There was at one time .. a small pottery upon the manor [of Bossington]. It was known to a few by tradition and some years ago a man was traced who as a boy had helped to fill in what then remained of an old kiln. He was brought to the orchard near Poole's Wood; he pointed out as nearly he could the spot and excavations were made. The foundations of walls and of two kilns with a quantity of broken pottery and lumps of clay, red and white, were discovered. Amongst the pottery were pieces of ridge tiling precisely similar to that found in the roof of the old house in Doverhay to which reference has already been made".   quoted by . Pool's Wood is at the above grid reference with Orchard Lane to the east, Orchard Close at SS 894 469 and Pit Orchard at SS 895 476.  An orchard is shown in the field to the north of the wood. 
- <1>XY SSO870 Monograph: Chadwyck-Healy, CEH. 1901. History of West Somerset. 320. [Mapped feature: #45920 ]
- <2> SSO1195 Article in serial: Gray, H.St.G. 1939. Excavations at Burrow Mump…. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 85. 111-112.
- <3> SSO1462 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:10000 sheet ST84NE.
- <4> SSO1559 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1931. 6" sheet 34NW.
|Grid reference||SS 895 472 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35280
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.