MSO12200 - Possible post-medieval building and field system on Tarr Ball Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Low earth banks forming fields and possible trackway. Often indistinct.  The remains of a building lie on Tarr Ball Hill at SS 86607 43785. The remains comprise a rectangular platform, with internal measurements 5 metres northeast to southwest and 3.6 metres northwest to southeast. The northeast side is defined by a substantial stony bank 3 metres long, 0.5 metres wide and up to 1m high. The northwest side is terraced into the hillside, and the southwest side is formed a slight bank. The building lies close to a steep sided gully. Erosion by this gully has destroyed the southeast side of the building. The remains of a field system lie to the northeast and southeast of the building. Dating these features is problematical, but they most likely belong to the post-medieval period. The features were surveyed using GPS as part of the East Exmoor Project.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. AP Preece, 1 January 1992.
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 January 1997.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1071755, Extant 16 March 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8653 4373 (129m by 228m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1071755 (Pastscape entry: 1071755)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7417
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE101
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1071755
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35258
Record last edited
Mar 16 2022 2:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.