MSO12154 - Ellicombe House (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
17th century. Some thick-walled parts of fabric may be earlier. Colourwashed rendering, old slate roof, two stone ridge stacks. Three tall brick stacks rising from eaves. Two storeys, principal elevation faces north with recessed centre and gabled projecting side wings. Wings have copings with pineapple finials to gables, wood-framed oval window in each gable face, 1 window to 1st floor, 2 windows to ground floor, sashes with glazing bars. Centre portion has panelled central door with curved wooden hood on wrought-iron brackets, on each side one sash window in exposed frames with thick glazing bars, and above a small dormer gable with coping and pineapple. A 19th century wing to left-hand is connected by a single-storey out-building to the former coach house. This is pantiled, copings with pineapples to end gables, oval window in gable face, stable-type door, 3-light leaded casement with moulded wood mullions.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264749. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The buildings were visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The house is depicted on the 2018 MasterMap data at SS 9820 4469 and labelled "Ellicombe Manor (Hotel)". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41305 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9820 4469 (29m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/3/116/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/3/116/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35021
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.