MSO12146 - Homeleigh, West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Early 19th century frontage. Colourwashed render, slate roof, eaves. Two storeys. Three windows, 3-light leaded iron casements in wood frames. Recessed door to right-hand side.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264741. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The work was commissioned by Tim Taylor as part of the Dig Dunster Time Team project. It was noted that the building has an early 19th Century frontage but there are fragments of two cruck trusses under a relatively modern roof; these were aligned east to west, perpendicular to West Street, and were heavily smoke blackened, suggesting the building had origins as an open hall structure. It was suggested that the building was constructed in AD 1377 or soon after. No early timbers below wallplate level were noted to survive.  The building is depicted but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8732 Report: Moir, A.. 2016. Dendrochronological analysis of oak timbers from more buildings in Dunster, Somerset, England. 1, 7-9, 15, 17-20.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39181 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9897 4349 (14m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/108
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35013
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 1:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.