MSO12143 - Exmoor House Hotel, West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Good early 19th century frontage. Stucco, slate roof with wide bracketedeaves, rustricated quoins. Two storeys. Three windows, sashes with glazing bars, cambered head openings, moulded shouldered architraves with keys, cills on brackets. Later wooden casement in similar but wider opening to ground floor left-hand in flat-headed opening with stepped voussoirs. Central semi- circular headed door openings, panelled door.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264738. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Appraisal for Dunster states that "also early 19th century, Exmoor House Hotel (no. 12), has a much stronger period frontage with ornate stucco detail, including rusticated quoins, moulded architraves, cills on brackets, stepped voussoirs and wide bracketed eaves. There is a semicircular arched doorway with panelled door."  Pevsner mentions the "Exmoor Guest House, with segment-headed windows" as a "nice" 18th Century house.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. p158.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39178 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9898 4353 (21m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/105
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35010
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 1:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.