MSO12140 - Stags Head House, West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
18th century front to possibly earlier fabric. Colourwashed render, pantiles, 11 glazing bars to ground floor. Recessed plain boarded and studded door. Included for group value.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264735. First Listed on 06/11/1975.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is shown on the Tithe Map for Dunster and labelled 82. The accompanying Apportionment describes this as the "Stags Head Inn and Garden", owned and occupied by James Phillips.  The building is depicted and labelled "4" on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8089 Map: 1842. Dunster Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 82.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39173 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9900 4356 (23m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/102
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35007
Record last edited
Mar 25 2021 4:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.