MSO12138 - The Pound, West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Probably 18th century. Stone and rectangular on plan. Angles towards road are rounded. Entrance at right end of front wall. Modern wrought-iron gate (not included). Slit opening in end wall.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264733. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Appraisal for Dunster states that "At the western edge of the village is the former livestock pound, probably dating from the 18th Century, stone built and of rectangular plan with rounded angles toward the road. There is a slit opening in the end wall."  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The building is depicted but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39170 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9884 4336 (6m by 4m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 26/4/100
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35005
Record last edited
Aug 3 2020 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.