MSO12136 - Nos 27 and 29, West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
17th century. Rendering on rubble, thatched roof, end gables, tall round central front stack on exposed chimney breast, brick end stack. Two storeys. Three windows, one 3-light, opne 2-light leaded iron casement in wood frame, spring quadrant. Square-headed door opening with plain door in heavy chamfered oak frame. Picturesque feature in the street scene.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264731. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Appraisal for Dunster states "Nos 27-29 make up a 17th Century house typical of the local vernacular style with rendered and colour-washed stone- rubble, a front stack with tall rounded shaft, leaded iron casement windows in timber frames, and a timber plank door in a heavy chamfered oak frame. The listing details refer to this house as a “picturesque feature in the street scene.”  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The northeastern structure is labelled "27". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9893 4341 (19m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521841 (Original Monarch entry: 521841)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/98/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/98/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9452
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41941
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 521841
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35003
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 1:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.