MSO12132 - The Oval, 17 West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
17th century with later alterations, rubble sandstone, slate roof eaves. Two storeys. Left hand half of frontage breaks forward slightly. Four windows with leaded iron casements in wood frames to 1st floor. Three later wood casements to ground floor. Central square head door opening under wooden lintel, recessed heavy oak chamfered and flat-arched door frame, stable-type door.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264727. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal states "no. 17 is mainly 17th century with four first floor windows having leaded iron casements in wooden frames. The door opening is under a timber lintel with a recessed heavy chamfered oak door-frame."  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted and labelled "17" on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39156 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9899 4349 (14m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/94
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34999
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 1:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.