MSO12129 - Fair View, 11 West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
18th century frontage with later alterations. Colourwashed rendering, pantiles, eaves, brick stacks. Two storeys. Three windows, 3-light iron casements in wood frames and later wooden casements. Square-headed door opening with vertical- ribbed door. Later tiled hoods over door and bay window.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264724. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building was surveyed on 20 August 2015 by the SANHS Building Research Group (Exmoor and West Somerset). It was noted to be a cross passage house with hall and inner room, with an extension to the rear. A small flying freehold over 13 contains roof trusses suggesting this was the original length of the roof; a ground floor connection here may have led to a service room. At the northeast at first floor level is what appears to be an old party wall with a true cruck frame built up against it. The next truss along is a jointed cruck frame and has infill of wattle and daub; other trusses along this range are obscured by the ceiling and walls. Remnants of another jointed cruck frame are within the rear extension. The cross passage reportedly contained cobbles. Other features of interest within the building include chamfered beams and details that suggest the property once had a lateral stack to the front.  The building is depicted and labelled "11" on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8343 Report: Ewing, M.. 2015. Survey at 11 West Street, Dunster.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39161 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9900 4351 (18m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/91
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34996
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 1:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.