MSO12122 - No 15 (Walnut Cottage, No 17 and No 19 (Tithe Cottage), St George's Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
17th century with later alterations. Colourwashed rendering on rubble, thatch roof with eyebrow dormers. Two storeys. Windows mostly leaded iron casements in wood frames, some recent wood. Square-headed door except to Walnut Cottage which has framed and studded door. Thatched porches to all cottages.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264717. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  The 2002 Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal states "nos. 15-17 form a 17th century colour-washed and rendered range under thatch with leaded light iron casement windows. The thatched porches are probably 19th century additions."  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The northern end is labelled "19" and the southern end "15". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p23.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39192 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9893 4371 (24m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/84/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/84/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/84/3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34985
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 2:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.